Social Media as Professional Tools is open all majors at Saint Louis University, and it has no prerequisites. For communication majors, it is a production course or an elective.
This course focuses on preparing students across disciplines to present themselves as professionals through the thoughtful and strategic management of their social media identities. Objectives for this course include enabling students to:
- Understand current and emerging social media platforms
- Explain “best practices” for using social media as professional tools
- Establish themselves as burgeoning professionals using social media and digital tools
- Use storytelling skills across platforms to communicate their professional identity
- Evaluate when it is appropriate and ethical to use these tools
- Reflect upon the impact of these tools on communication processes and professional identity